Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Animals I saw on my holiday

lots of wallabies
two echidnas - both suicidally crossing roads, confident in their ability to take out the tyres of anyone foolish enough not to swerve
multiple birds
bumblebees
a snake crossing my path that turned and reared at me as though to strike as I moved away from it. Discussion with a Tasmanian has resulted in a probable identification as a tiger snake, aggressive and quite venomous. That could have been the end of my holiday then and there.
sheep
cows
marsupial mice
ducks
a skink
hmm there were probably more but they elude me

2 comments:

Dr Clam said...

Did you see the bandicoot?

The skink was some kind of Scott of the Antarctic of the lizard world, surviving in a place where the lows were below freezing in the middle of summer, all tiny little twisted alpine trees and lichen...

Jenny said...

sadly no, I was at the back of the group, with the lantern lighting peoples way and the bandicoot was long gone by the time I would have been close enough to see it.