Monday, September 14, 2009

Champions online - death by rubberbanding

Two days after mentioning I might try this new superhero game, a late birthday present arrives...so now I'm very tired.

The character make up is awesome...I spend at least an hour on each one. 30 seconds to pick a power, then 59 minutes and 30 seconds to get the cheekbones, toenails, insect wings and colour scheme juuust right.

It was ok on day one once I got past the intro screen freezing my computer because zone alarm blocked the game. The game itself in the first section looks very comic booky - which is realistic I guess. My Gold Dragon character sort of makes my eyes bleed to look at her in the sunlighty bits.

I even got my head round the movement controls - sort of. Day two I gave up due to terminal rubberbanding. No-one else seemed to have problems but my character ended up dead due to not being able to run away or fight back. I may check it again tonight and see how it is.

Characters so far:
Hawk blade (female martial artist in pink and white with hawk wings, tail and a head crest)
Dark lightning (male darkness skill, all in shiny metallic black with blue lightning motifs and
a cape and scarf over his face)
Precious Horde: Golden humanoidish type dragon with green trim - she lopes along on all fours rather than running
Tiffany (blonde gadgeteer with pigtails and wearing a green plaid skirt and jacket over a purple shirt, with purple shoes and spectacles)

Edit: tried it - rubberbanding up the wazoo. Tried again this morning and its fine - hope that means they've fixed it and not "won't be able to play in the evenings 'cause it just doesn't work then"

No comments: