Saturday, August 14, 2010

Phew!

I got my updated computer home yesterday and the second thing I did was install LOTRO from scratch. I've heard of problems and didn't want to add to them by installing an old version and trying to upgrade.
The download went on all night (12 hours) then it installed directX 9 and microsoft net1.1 and started up fine. The computer then asked if I'd like to install directX 10 and I decided not in case something happens.
Of course, I haven't checked it again since I turned the computer off. Maybe the Microsoft net thing will screw up my computer and it won't turn on again :)


Edit: Ok not quite so phew - playing LOTRO caused my computer to turn off in 5 minute intervals, till I upgraded my video card & now it seems ok for an hour or so & then turns off. The fans do get faster & stay fast shortly before it shuts down (no BSOD, just off like the power went out). It lasts longer when I pull off my lit up mouse & turn off backlighting on my keyboard. The error is power kernal. Methinks the power supply isn't quite handling it. Its not overheating - I've been monitoring the core temp. When I have a minute to spit, I'll check how much wattage my power supply has.

No comments: