Saturday, January 01, 2011

spirobathmophobia

There's a name for it!
The fear of spiral staircases. I never used to be afraid of them. In fact when touring Britain (twice) I climbed up and down many of them in various castles. But at some point they started to freak me out. I think it was at Clifford's Tower in York. Its too heavy for the hill its on and has sunk a bit - theres a tilt. So you are climbing a spiral staircase on a sideways slope. Then there was the very narrow very long, often with no rail to hold onto. staircase to the roof of York Cathedral..so my incipent spirobathmophobia was reinforced by my claustrophobia and my general lack of fitness (am I going to have a heart attack 1/2 way up and how would they get me out). Now they make me very nervous. My brother Doug laughed at me since he thinks spiral staircases are the safest ones to fall down on the basis you hit a wall pretty quickly that stops you cold. I will still climb them, but they are no longer fun.

No comments: