Wednesday, October 21, 2009

problem solving

I actually enjoy problem solving - if I have some free time. Even if not, I can waste hours trying to figure out solutions to things for other people. I know I shouldn't because my work doesn't get done, but it is so much fun.

I do have some of my own trouble shoots to do at the moment.

1. Static on phone. Is it because;
a) I churned to a new provider
b) there's a fault turned up on the line
c) the dvd player I in put in the parents room is interfering with the phone base

2. Dedunk dedunk noise on my computer, matched with brief thinking by the computer which slows things down on the desktop and freezes the screen in lotro if I'm playing (also causing audio looping) for about 10 sec - mouse still works. I need to;
a) remove everything that plugs in via usb and turn on computer - see if it happens again
b) open computer and check all my connections are tight
c) try to track down some of the alert thingies on my event viewer
d) do more online reading
e) look for viruses, spyware etc
f) look at my router settings -I did some fiddling when I churned - but I think I already had the issue then

I've already done a checkdisk - its not that. Used canned air on all my USB ports - still happens.

Some of the comments on the event viewer are about non-existant registry or DLL files, but there don't seem to be enough events to match to the frequency of the dedunks

ok - must go and do real work (ie marking) now

No comments: