Monday, March 27, 2006

beating them off with a stick....

...or at least two of them.
I had someone from the school newsletter interview me about my PhD (slow news day). She sent me the article - which was hugely misinterpretable and made it sound like I had just about cured cancer (or my disease) so my supervisor and I fixed the worst misscommunications and sent it back. This is the problem with trying to explain pure science in laymans terms and give them a reference point. I should have done more to squelch her enthusiasm as it then went to all the news outlets across Australia I think.

I just had to have a conversation with an associated press person (another slow news day) and explain that what I was doing was foundation science without any immediate practical application to human health. I did say that in the long term, should we get funding and students to do the work, the work I had done would be a foundation for possible human therapy. I should have made that clearer to the first interviewer, but practice makes perfect I guess.

I gave her some names of people with more interest in current human treatment etc., who also have experience with the press, so hopefully she will completely forget about me.

As a scientist, who may need public interest in my work to achieve funding, I should be more eager to talk to the Press - but I'm not. I'll happily write them something, but talking to them fills me with dread.

edited because I can't spell

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew Jenny Elliman back before she was famous. She cured cancer, y'know...

:D

Jenny said...

I live in fear of a runaway story hyping me up while I run behind going "no, no, wait. You've got it all wrong" followed by a story describing how these scientists make wild exaggerations about their work

Dr Clam said...

The stem cell guy I mentioned a while back said in his talk that there was a whole line of interesting research that he had abandoned after it got into the media, because he couldn't take the pressure of people with the condition it was potentially useful for somewhere down the line ringing up all the time with desperate stories and unrealistic expectations... :(