Monday, March 20, 2006

Cyclone Larry


After spending yesterday afternoon lugging everything under the house and filling up those things that couldn't be lugged in with water and tying them up, taping windows, putting washing machines up on bricks, and generally preparing for the worst....we have light persistant rain, and mild winds (rain at about 45 degrees). I've put up the best windy picture I got - palm trees always look so effective in wind. This is one of the neighbours houses, I wasn't going to tramp out into the rain to take a photo of mine.

Dad and I both have the day off work - organised last night when they shut down the uni for 24 hours and told the contractors at the army not to come in. This cyclone was taken seriously. I guess the speed at which it approached and the rapid upgrading to huge cyclone (cat 5), was taken seriously by those in charge. I'm spending the day doing all those things I don't have time for usually.

My to do list will get shorter at least, but I don't think the people in Innisfail are appeciating that right now. I'd be very surprised if there are no fatalities. Its supposed to be the biggest to hit the east coast for 100 years. Dad says there was one that hit Mackay about 100 years ago that almost wiped out Mackay permanently. Leonta hit Townsville in 03-04 (1903 that is) I think, and it was very destructive too.

Hmm, getting more windy, rainy and grey, maybe I should get off line now.

No comments: