Friday, February 04, 2011

Post Yasi - day 2

Power still out. I went to uni to check on the -80 freezers and see if they had power for me to recharge my computer with. Generator power ok with freezers on it but no other power. So I only have 40 minutes left on my computer (no way I'm unplugging our generator powered units. Depending on how long this goes on I may go silent. The Honours and Masters students building has a branch through the roof. Theres a few shops open but no-one with bread yet.
I am so lucky. None of our trees came down and nothing is damaged at our house. The number of yards with trees down is amazing. People are putting branches on the footpath everywhere... Plus all the footpath trees down. Dad couldn't get out to his bees this morning there were multiple trees over the road but also a power line about 2ft off the road going across. The street next to us has lovely trees over the road - now on the road. So its not just blocked at one spot, but at least 3 spots that I could see at a glance. I've seen a few windows broken and the church building has had glass doors blow in and the carpark is full of trees down.
We have water again - they frantically were fixing the water supply last night, but we would have been ok anyway, we had about 200 plus litres of water stored.
Getting off nowe in the hopes I can save some charge for tomorrow - or find someone with power (most of Townsville is still out).

No comments: