Tuesday, March 01, 2011

focus , focus now

Lately I've had some days where some of my tasks haven't taken up as much time as I expected (yay!) or have required me to twiddle thumbs waiting for other people (boo!).
As a result, I've been getting to the middle of the day and I've crossed off my day's list or moved it forward while I wait. The temptation is strong to just go home, but there's lots to do that I haven't got to because my days in general have been too full. I need to suck it up and start some of these jobs...but I don't want to. :(

Should I;
read my students partial project proposal
read any number of papers I haven't got to yet
apply for that equipment grant
clean up may samples in the walk in fridge that were dumped there when the lab fridge was Yasi'ed
read the notes for my education subject and reference my assignment
write the practicals for my new subject
write the appendices for my new subject
write lectures for my new subject
read the inch thick pile of papers on QA QC that I need to understand to write a lecture for my new subject.

Hmm.. perhaps the last one. It keeps me in my office while I wait for
1. the phone call from the computer guys
2. The student who promised to turn up so we could go talk to someone else
3. all the email replies from the other jobs I did today.

And is sort of what I'm in the mood for now I'm sucking it up.

2 comments:

Chris Fellows said...

You should read your student's proposal. It might remove an excuse for them to procrastinate, making your next procrastination guilt-free!

Jenny said...

reading now...not bad so far