Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rain, flash floods, car accidents, traffic jams, thunder

I'm still at work. It was pouring & I got a txt saying our road was flooded, but my car has high clearance, so I wasn't too concerned. I did try to leave when it started thundering but as I drove out one of our school exits, I saw that the road was blocked with cars going out...all the way back to the main Uni ring and beyond. So I turned back the other way, hoping the other exit was free, but I could see cars backed up to the point at which you could turn right rather than left. I think the whole university is grid locked. I turned back in the other school entrance to come back to work & after I parked I get a txt saying there was a crash on the Nathan Street Bridge. That would explain it. Now theres so much water I just got a txt telling my the budies in the aviary have an indoor swimming pool - the aviary is usually 10cm above ground level - ick!

Edit: finally got home & had to use some odd back streets. There was lots of traffic doing the same and some really fast flowing water over roads. I only saw one car in the water with hazard lights, abandoned. I decided to get into my street at the other end as the end I usually use is very potholed and would be flooded. I should have gone the usual way. The bottom end is a bit lower and it was DEEP. I considered driving up someone elses driveway to get out of the water but by the time I thought of that solution, I was onto the shallower part of the road (ie still too deep for a little sedan but ok for me - just. My fan belts were screaming as I came up the drive. Now I just hope it will all drip dry. Dad's belts were screaming too. He was at a shopping centre when it all hit & it was up to his doors trying to get out of the car park. The water was still rising when he left.

7 comments:

Cornelius Gallows said...

Townsville is funny when it floods. It rains so rarely that I think Townsville just sort of panics and overcompensates.

Hope it's not too inconvenient.

Cornelius Gallows said...

That was me, by the way

Dave V

PS: CG is my gaming gmail account

Jenny said...

Ah. It was certainly interesting. There was some swiftly flowing water going over some of the roads for quite a while. I know of someone who got swept off her bike and had to be rescued "down road flow"

Marco Parigi said...

That Thursday afternoon flash flood was just a freak isolated storm. 100mm rained down over the period of a couple of hours - it peaked right on peak hour traffic. I was stuck in it but remembered the right path to take home from 98 and 00 floods.

Unknown said...

It was the '98 ones that I was thinking of - just before I left Townsville.

Rachel Stoneham said...

Bad weather's one of the catalysts of a bad crash. Did you know any details about the crash that caused the jam back then?

jaymm said...

Hopefully no one was seriously hurt after the car crash so no one is filing compensation claims in the courts.