Wednesday, November 10, 2004

What irritates me

OK, I don't mind being sent an email like the one noted below, using the official university bulk mailing system. It's more a reminder that a particular official event is on than a political or personal view. But what irritates me is when someone does a reply to all with a current political opinion.

I'm not interested in reading a perfect strangers political views on current wars/conflicts/politics and whether something has been done or not done for selfish/monetary reasons. At least not at work, on an official email list. There's plenty of places to find this stuff and engage in spewing personal vitriol/slander/reasoned and insightful debate should I wish to.

Now I'm expecting a whole swag of reply to all emails going back and forth between different viewpoints, and people complaining that they don't want to be sent any more emails - for days, filling up my email, wasting my time as I open them thinking "this time it may be from someone with a legitimate email, personally sent to me" (which I do get from complete strangers, and people who's name I have just forgotten).

I'm tempted to start blocking all emails from this time forth from anyone inconsiderate enough to use bulk mail inappropriately. That'll serve em right when they turn out to be someone who does want to contact me later...and get bounced.

Hmm, longest post yet...must rant more some time.

Remembrance Day

In 1918 the armistice that ended World War I came into force, bringing to an end four years of hostilities that saw 61 919 Australians die at sea, in the air, and on foreign soil. Few Australian families were left untouched by the events of World War I - 'the war to end all wars' most had lost a father, son, daughter, brother, sister or friend.

At 11am on 11 November we pause to remember the sacrifice of those men and women who have died or suffered in wars and conflicts and all those who have served during the past 100 years.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

2 comments:

Dr Clam said...

Vey cute! Very pink! Now when somebody sends a bulk email about *university* politics and it starts a big debate of emails going back and forth, I don't mind that...

Jenny said...

It'd never happen here. Too much honesty attracts attention which may result in problems dealing with the infrastructure. Did that sound vague enough not to get me in any trouble?