Wednesday, May 04, 2005

as promised, I'm writing more

I said I'd write more and so I am. That chapter I was talking about last month is three paper references away from handing to my supervisor. I found that I'd made an erroneous assumption in my discussion and had to edit, but on the up side, I found a paper discussing something I'd given up on finding an example of.

I spent last long weekend house sitting - air conditioning, 1m wide flat screen tv, extensive cable channels, evening strolls round the hills of Yarrawonga, looking at houses I'll never be able to afford...I didn't get very much work done. Maybe next long weekend I'll clean out under the house :)

In two weeks my parents are going on holidays for a month to Scotland. I'm taking this opportunity to go on the liver cleansing diet, as I've gained a lot of weight and this is a good way to clean out all the garbage in my system prior to seriously not eating junk food. I've done it before and know that there's no way I'll do it if there are other people in the house wanting to use the kitchen. You actually have to do proper meal preparation for it and it's too complicated doing that if my mother is cooking for other people at the same time.

My mum is buying a juicer - just in time - fresh vegetable juice is on the diet list. (I just skipped that part last time). And before you wrinkle your nose up, the next door neighbours have let us sample some of their vegetable juices and they are really lovely. The trick is to put a bit of fruit in to sweeten it.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Orange, carrot and ginger juice is among the most delicious beverages known to humanity.

Celery, apple and the merest hint of mint and/or lime is also excellent.

Pineapple, watermelong and raspberry is fantastic, if super-sugary and full of broken raspberry seeds (so watch out).

Nectarines and plums can be added to basically anything to make them better. Also, do not discard the inches-thick foam - it's the best part.

This is from a lifelong non-fruit eater, so you can take it as gospel. Juiders are great!

Jenny said...

Wonderful, my first recipes...and mint too - I hadn't even thought of that, I could use my chocolate mint for something other than coffee